Thursday, November 15, 2007

Meeting at Dana Farber, but not feeling well

I was supposed to meet the oncologists at Dana Farber and at Beth Israel yesterday, but I only saw the doctors at Dana Farber. Every one there is very nice and seems to be very knowledgeable. There is still disagreement about whether this is colon or rectal. I learned that the operative notes said that the infected node came from the colon area, through the surgeon told the oncologists at the BI that it was rectal. So I'm still not clear, and they need that clarity in order to determine my course of treatment.

In the meantime, I've developed this high fever (which may explain my long message the other day!) After I wrote the message, I went to bed. I was freezing (typical fever stuff) and really dehydrated all night. I got up to go to the bathroom, and, walking back, fainted. I've never done that before -- it's not a delicate fall, the way I always imagined -- and makes me want to get carpets. Ouch!

Turns out, my blood pressure is really low (80 over 53, for people who like numbers).

So, after that, I decided that I couldn't do both appointments (Dana Farber and Beth Israel), and should only do one. I called them to make sure it was okay that I come. I figure, I'm walking into a building filled with people with reduced immunity. But they told me to come if I could get there. So I did. (That is how I learned of my blood pressure.)

I spent most of the appointment lying on the table with a blanket over me because I was so wiped out -- they were very nice about that. It took about 2 1/2 hours to meet with everyone.

I learned two key things -- they recommend that I start chemo eight weeks after surgery, and in the meantime, I should do everything possible to gain weight (I've lost about 15 pounds since the surgery) and get strong.

So I have a set of goals, once I can get this fever under control.

More later -- I'm headed back to bed!

Love, Marie

No comments: